Best Practices for ADA compliance?

Hi All

I’m wondering what other people are doing to make their OnDemand recordings ADA compliant? From my understanding the live webinars only need captions, which is offered through On24, so that’s all good. But for OnDemand recordings we need:

• Closed Captions
  • Descriptive text (written captions that describe any action taking place on screen, ex: “A door closes”)
  • Descriptive audio ( verbal audio describing what is taking place on screen)

( 508 Accessible Videos—Why (and How) to Make Them – Digital.gov has some details)

For the captions, that’s straightforward enough. For the descriptive text and audio I’m a bit more stumped though. Normally we use a partner agency to create those files (an SRT and separate MP4 respectively) and display them on our site through a media player that supports switching audio and caption channels. But we’d like to make our On24 archived recordings available more natively, so I’m looking to have similar functionality here. I believe I could upload the SRT back into On24 and have that for descriptive text, but what are people doing for descriptive audio?
One of my colleagues suggested perhaps uploading the separate MP4 with descriptive audio in the resources section and then verbally referring to it at some point during the recording. But that might confuse live viewers, and I’m not sure if having a separate link is enough for full compliance (will have to check that with legal).
Anyone else have any ideas, tools, or creative workarounds they’ve found to help make accessible and compliant recordings?

1 Like

Hi @tomlin,
I would not say that I am working on the same issue, but accessibility is something we are focussing on for next year. We are not going for the A++ accreditation but we decided we are happy enough with just the captioning for both Live and On Demand viewers. So, for now we are not focussing on the descriptive text or audion.

But the suggestion from your colleagues sounds like an idea to at least experiment with. And if you explain it clearly to your audience it might not even be confusing but just aiding to your image of thinking of all people?

1 Like